Introducing Emily Grace Mei Venn

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Emily Grace's Surgery

First let me thank all of you for your prayers and support!! You will never really know how much it meant to us!! Emily Grace's surgery WAS this morning around 10am. It was very successful!!! God is so Good!!! Emily Grace asked to wear her scrubs and doctor's coat to the surgery so of course I let her :o) She was extremely cooperative for all of the nurses and doctors and THEN it was time for the procedure to begin and she clung to me out of utter fear and wouldn't let go. THEY TOOK her from me and put the anesthesia mask on her face and she just looked at me with the most helpless pitiful eyes and looked at me like I was betraying her since I was helping them. I was as strong as I could be until she fell asleep and then I just broke down. I just felt awful!! There is no way to prepare you for that one...THey only let one of us go back there. Now I know why. It is just too awful for two to have to be consoled. Finally, she was returned to us still groggy, but feeling pretty well. The Doc said that everything went well and that it will be about two weeks before the redness disappears and before the brain completely registers the new eye alignment. He said that her weak eye may go in or out while adjusting. (Glad he prepared me for that one :o) Now that it is over, I can finally breath!!! Here is a couple of before pics and one after to see just how her eyes look post surgery.

12 comments:

my3 kids said...

So glad that things went well...when they have to peel your child off is so hard because we are supposed to keep them safe and of course the nurses and dr's are strangers after all. Yikes, it sounds like you did well though and little Emily Grace looks so cute in her scrubs. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow! Rejoicing in relief with you...

Unknown said...

That is great news! Those scrubs are too cute.

Briana's Mom said...

I looked up at the clock at 9:50AM this morning and thought about Emily Grace. I was so relieved when I read she was doing so well after the surgery! Such good news!!!!

Jackie Sue said...

so thankful with you that things went so well. i love her scrubs! she looks great afterwards! i hope her recovery is super speedy. you did great mom! celebrating with you!!!

Molly's Mommy said...

AWESOME!!!!! I am so glad everything went so well!!
I am loving the scrubs too :-)

Donna said...

YEAH! So happy everything went as planned. She is so darn cute!!

Anonymous said...

Amy, I have been there with my three year old, David, many years ago. Isn't it hard some days to be a mommy and do what you must?

I am glad all is well!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear that everything went well. God is good! Ditto on the scrubs.....too cute! Emily Grace is adorable in both the before and after photos!

Hugs,
The Callahans

jennifer said...

I am so glad things went well. One of mine has had 3 surgerys and that is always the hardest part...when they take them from you. It just breaks your heart. I'm glad she's ok.

Lisa~~ said...

Happy to hear that all went so well.

Anonymous said...

Emily Grace is so adorable in her scrubs and lab coat! What a great idea that was...putting a little bit of fun into a really hard experience.

I'm so glad the surgery is finished and little Emily Grace is doing so well! It is wonderful that she apparently isn't hurting very often! We are praying that this WILL be the last surgery needed.

~Monica