Introducing Emily Grace Mei Venn

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Test has taken place

Ok, Sometimes you just have to find humor in the challenges that life has given you. Ok, I endured the most bizarre test that I have ever taken when I went in to determine what is going on with me. I am going to tell the details of this test so beware...if you are squeamish then don't proceed :-) I knew that I was having some sort of test called a "Voidance Systogram" or something. I knew that it was at the lab, but they failed to tell me exactly what that meant. The last time that I went in, they placed dye intravenously so that they could follow in detail what my kidney was doing. Although, it hurt, it wasn't too weird. I assumed "this test" would be similar...I was so wrong. When I arrived, they informed that I would be catheterized (tube placed into urethra) then, they proceeded to send dye colored fluid up into my bladder in order to fill it up to see of any of it would shoot up into my kidney. If that wasn't weird enough, the radiologist and myself could watch my bladder fill up like a balloon. They told me that they wanted to put so much fluid in that I would be dying to let it go, but to endure it. What?!! Well, it took almost two bottles to do that (she said that normally most people only need 1/2-1 bottle. So why do I always have to go if I have a super bladder? :-) Anyway, there it was, my bladder filled to the brim on the big screen. Now you know, you, too, would like the privilege to watch your own bladder grow. Who knew how big it really could get? Then the BEST PART came when they informed me that now it was time to let it out. They removed the catheter and showed me a boat shaped bowl with a bag attached and said that they need me to urinate into in front of ALL of THEM and on the monitor. What?!?! They electronically moved the bed from a lying position to a standing position, handed me the bowl/bag thing and said go ahead. SO I place this awkward thing you know where and then with the fullest bladder you can imagine, I tried to go. This is the type of full bladder that most people are crossing their legs to prevent the flow, mind you....it was hurting, but try as I might, I couldn't do it. I had stage fright or something. For goodness sakes, they were staring at me.
Finally, they moved behind my vision and turned on water for me (lol) to get me do something. Talk about losing all modesty. I thought that I lost all of it during the first hospital stay I had. Apparently, I was wrong. I lost it on that day. When it finally began, they rushed back in to tell my not to stop the flow but to physically turn my body to left for x-ray pics, then to the right. I had never tried walking, holding something firmly between my legs and peeing at the same time...all I could do was laugh and pray that the little bag attached to the bowl could hold almost two bottles worth. I couldn't believe what I was doing, but it was the first time that I had any humor about my circumstance. With my bizarre mission complete, I was told it would be 3-7 days before, I would receive the results, I finally called yesterday and was told, that would next week before, they knew anything. I am trying to stay very hopeful. Thank you so much for your thoughts prayers!! I will post as soon as I know!! Finding some humor in this thing gives me a new meaning to the saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

9 comments:

jennifer said...

Oh, girl... that is crazy!! I have never heard of anything like that! Having a baby is pretty rough on the modesty too. With Braden I must have had 20 people in the room because I let students come in. (I never did that again!). I've been cathararized (bad enough), but NEVER had to pee in front of people. That is crazy!! Praying your results are good.

Anonymous said...

Not sure this procedure gave you the exact kind of "lemonade" you were hoping for, but at least you find the humor in the situation. :) We continue to pray for your family and hope you are all hanging in there.
Looking forward to seeing you sometime soon.
Neppl Family

Kim said...

I am sooo sorry you have to go through all this...
But if it helps in the end.. That is what we have to look at... The brightside..
You will get better..
Hugs to you.
Thanks for stopping by..
Have a Great Week..

Molly's Mommy said...

Too much!! I have never heard of such a thing! It is a good thing you have such a great sense of humor. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that everything comes out good!!
Love, Robyn

April said...

So glad to hear you can laugh about that test! Yuck! Hope you got my message. Praying for you and love you! xoxo, April

Cristy said...

Oh Girl! I had a similar test, and let me say that I feel your humiliation! I wish I had your great sense of humor though!

I am still praying for the very best outcome on your tests!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane-lol :)

Briana's Mom said...

That test sounds so awful! At least you have a sense of humor about it!

I have been praying for you. Hope all your tests turn out good.

I miss you. Hope we can get together when you are feeling better.

Jackie Sue said...

Amy, Golly wally!!! Great job in finding the humor. The Bible says that laughter is good medicine...so there you go. Laughing with you and still praying for His will and a good outcome! Hang in there and thanks for the update...I've been WAITING and I do NOT wait well :-)

M,R,J1,J2 said...

You are so right-all modesty goes out the window at the hospital (I have my own stories and they involve peeing in some strange device, too-LOL!). What else can you do, but to find humor in these situations? And it's true, the hospital staff has seen it all before :-) I'll be thinking about you. Stay positive!
Best wishes from Orlando, FL
Michaela (still waiting...)