Introducing Emily Grace Mei Venn

Sunday, September 16, 2007

September 11 Comment/Reality

I am a high school Latin Teacher. On September 11, I went into work thinking as many of us were, where I was when the tragedy occurred? I remembered that I was teaching in a Latin I class. We were about to have a quiz. So on 9/11/2007, I, absent mindedly, asked the students where they were when it happened.....Most of my students commented on how they didn't remember it happening!!! what!!??!! They don't remember??!!?? They proceeded to tell me how they knew what it meant, but that they didn't recall the event. My seniors were in the 6th grade (They could recall a bit), but my sophomores were in the 4th grade and my freshmen, well they were in the third grade....OMG... I AM SO OLD!!!! They began to tell me how their parents (rightly so) kept them from the horror of this event...That isn't my issue...my issue is that they DON'T REMEMBER!!! It shocks me that I actually have students who truly DO NOT REMEMBER SEPTEMBER 11th 2001. Where did the time go? It feels like yesterday. I still feel the pain from that day!! May we never forget!!!

8 comments:

Donna said...

Amazing at how time goes by so quickly. I will never forget where I was on that day and the deep dark feeling I had at the moments hearing and then watching the events of that day. It is strange now to hear 9/11 as that is now my daughter's birthdate. So now I have 2 opposite ends of feeling to go along with that day 9/11. Weird.

Anonymous said...

Time has passed quickly and thank goodness the fear and hurt we all felt that day does diminish with time, but we will never forget.

I have nominated you for a special award! Check out my blog at www.waitforlilykate.blogspot.com

best,
Susan

Anonymous said...

I remember watching the morning news with my Mom and Dad. Phil had already left for work. I stood in disbelief. Time passing seemed to be so slow while we waited, but it really does move way too fast.

Stay safe!!!
Julie

jennifer said...

When you think about it that way, how many young people are fighting the war over in Iraq who don't really remember? Some of them are not much older than your students.
I will never forget!

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Hey Amy,
I was a high school social studies teacher and so when I was teaching my juniors and seniors government, it was just mindbogling how I felt all the time with current events and my age ~ and I am not that old! Your post made me think about how my grandparents generation remember Dec 7th and Pearl Harbor. Very interesting post :D

Ladybug hugs,
Debbie

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Hey Amy,
I was a high school social studies teacher and so when I was teaching my juniors and seniors government, it was just mindbogling how I felt all the time with current events and my age ~ and I am not that old! Your post made me think about how my grandparents generation remember Dec 7th and Pearl Harbor. Very interesting post :D

Ladybug hugs,
Debbie

Jeff and Valerie said...

Time flies. I remember exactly where I was!

I coached high school soccer for many years. Many of my players are married with kids and now in their late 20's. I wonder where time went.

insanemommy said...

It is amazing to me too. It seems like just yesterday. What a tragic day that was for the world!