Introducing Emily Grace Mei Venn

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Chinese Lessons for Emily

It is nice to post that Emily has been cooperating very well with wearing her eye patch each day. Also, recently Emily has begun to take Chinese language classes. I read some where that a baby begins to lose his/her first language after having been separated from it for 6 months or longer. After having Emily for 6 months, I discovered that we had a Chinese language teacher living in our neighborhood. After having discussed private lessons with her, she came to visit Emily. I found out that Emily still remembered Chinese. She responded to simple commands and could say some Chinese words and phrases. I also discovered that what I thought was baby babble turned out to be Chinese. Early on, when I would play music, Emily would say a word that I thought was babble, but found it interesting that she would frequently say it each time. I learned that she was saying the Chinese word for "dance." On the day of Emily's first lesson, the teacher told Emily good-bye in Chinese and Emily responed a full sentence. She said "see you next week." The teacher was surprised and so was I. I have a ton of other examples. I learn more and more about Emily Grace every day. :-) The Chinese lessons have been fun and we both are learning a lot. Oh yeah, we are still interviewing Nannies. Ughhhh. Wish us luck!!!!!

11 comments:

Roy and Lori said...

I think the chineese language
lessons are wonderful! That
is something we need to start
thinking about. She is so
precious!

Unknown said...

How wonderful that she is taking Chinese lessons. Can't wait to do that with Claire.

Cristy said...

I am amazed that she remebers and can speak some still-WOW! You have motivated me to start with my girls, I thought Gianna was still too young... I am also re-thinking her babble, maybe it is Mandarin too?
We want to learn as a family and are excited to learn with our girls, just as you are

Thanks for motivating me!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is so cool. What a great idea to begin lessons. Can't wait to hear my baby babble in Chinese and/or English!

Briana's Mom said...

Oh my gosh! Maybe Briana is babbling in Chinese and I don't know it! That is amazing!

jennifer said...

That is amazing! What a great experience.

Heather said...

We often wonder whether Lily is speaking to us in Chinese and we just don't understand. She would respond to our guides questions in China with full sentences. So we know she knows alot. The other night we were watching a show on AZN (asian-american network) that was only subtitled in english. Lily just stared at the TV listening to every word.

How great to have a Chinese language teacher near by!

Jeff and Valerie said...

That is all too cool! How fun to learn that she remembers her first language. So cute!

Angela and Jay said...

Wow! She's a smart little girl!

I think it's great that she's already taking Chinese lessons.
:-)

Jackie Sue said...

That is soooo amazing! Ellie doesn't even respond to the few Chinese phrases that I speak to her. Ya think its my accent, maybe? :) Hope Emily's eyesight improves quickly! Happy Thanksgiving!

Alyson and Ford said...

That is wonderful that you are continuing her language knowledge through lessons. I hope we are so lucky to find a teacher as I hope to do the same for Lizzy!

Alyson
LID 01/27/06